Shiro in Sanskrit means Head and Dhara means continuous flow or pouring of liquid. Shirodhara is an amazing therapy for the mind created by the masters 5000 years ago. The mesmerizing part of this treatment is that dripping liquid like a thread on the forehead while making internal changes and increasing the memory and retaining power of an individual, also brings up memories that are buried deep inside within the body.
There are 3 main types of Shirodhara:
- Taila dhara – Pouring of oil
- Ksheera dhara – Pouring of milk and Bala root decoction
- Takra dhara – Pouring of buttermilk (made from yogurt and water)
When Shirodhara is performed, the person receiving goes into a very deep state of relaxation. And sometimes, this person also goes into a trance like state. Through this state many subconscious memories gets released and healed.
Shirodhara can also heal some of the following ailments:
- Imbalances connected with head, neck, eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Imbalances of nervous system like nerve disorder, facial palsy, paralysis, and Ptosis of the eye
- Long standing insomnia
Shirodhara is a unique therapy for calming the mind. And, once the mind is calm, overall healing can happen in a natural way.